Time takes many different shapes and all of them seem to be demanding and even exhausting. You daily face your working time, time for managing your home and family time. In between the above you lose time on your way to work and back, and even when you must take some of your work home. Your search for solutions may force you to oversee one of the most reliable allies in the fight to turn time on your side. The printable calendar is one an easy and promising way to master and control your time.
The printable calendar has managed to survive the digital age and remain useful because it’s so versatile that you can personalise it in so many ways. You can have a calendar on your kitchen refrigerator, and on your office wall. It helps you plan trips, tasks, recurrent meetings and much more. In this article, we will discuss how to optimise working time so that your personal time can also benefit.
The Basics of Using a Printable Calendar
You don’t need to search for newspaper stores which sell yearly calendars. They are usually personalized and provide little space for notes. You can save time and money by printing out monthly and weekly calendar templates. Simple models only outline weekends, to help you calculate time easier. You should print out sheets for the next three months for easier time calculations. So, grab a few colored pens and start organizing!
- You need to have a complete overview of your time. Therefore, you can start by marking out national free and vacation days. They will help you avoid setting potential meetings or tasks that you later need to postpone.
- Think about color coding. Split your work in categories and find colors and symbols. Make sure they reflect their character. Red can symbolize urgent or long-lasting tasks, while blue can show recurrent reports to make or duties.
- Stay realistic throughout the process. The calendar is there to optimize your time, not to be filled with data. You cannot fully plan a month’s work. You will need free time for emails and other work tasks, as well as breaks. Also, keep in mind that the printable calendar is your planner, not a to-do-list. Don’t fill it with tasks which last less than half-an-hours or which take daily time.
- Remember that you cannot edit the data you write. This can be a major advantage as it stops you from postponing activities that might be important. Don’t rush into writing data in the calendar before thinking whether you can complete them on time. Turn the impossibility to edit data on your favor by sticking to deadlines and making sure you can complete tasks.
- Provide access to yourself and others. Your printable calendar needs to be placed in a visible spot. The most accessible is on your desk wall, next to your monitor, where you can see it, as well as your assistants. Also, create a ritual by consulting it in the morning, when you are most productive.
How to Control and Master Your Time
So, you’ve learned the essentials of using a printable calendar to optimize your time. Here are the steps you can take to regain full control of your working time. Once you’ve solved the below, you will be able to complete more tasks in little time and even get home earlier.
Rid yourself of redundancy
Your screen might be flooded with sticky notes now. The printable calendar works as a reminder, so it is there to eliminate them.
Make sure you only use the calendar for work-related purposes and time planning. Also, use it immediately after you set a meeting, to avoid writing data down on sheets and losing them.
Prioritize and evaluate
Prioritize your tasks before writing them down. However, prioritization should also include those important, but not urgent tasks that you usually postpone. Each task you postpone might bring long-term benefits.
You can also evaluate your results by later keeping sheets of the past months. See what you’ve managed to accomplish and notice why some tasks or projects have lasted longer than planned. Then, find solutions. In absence of a printable calendar, you usually tend to ignore time-related issues.
The printable calendar sticks to your office wall. However, you don’t need to call you’re assistant every time you take a business trip and must set a meeting.
Back-up your data by taking photos of your calendar every time you must leave for a meeting or a trip. Also, stay updated with the easiest and latest methods to recover your photos, in an unexpected deletion occurs.
Tick related tasks
Related tasks are usually easier to solve as your brain doesn’t focus on different work processes. Also, group tasks by similarity.
If you work on a report, you can dedicate the entire day to reports. You will solve them faster and remain focused on optimizing the process.
Use separate calendars
You may find the calendar so useful that you also plan to expand it for home duties, family trips and hobbies. However, you need to keep your time balanced.
Remember that you cannot completely fill up your available time. You might encounter unexpected trips or activities or just days when you feel like relaxing. Make sure you keep calendars balanced and don’t mix tasks. It’s better to write down a busy note on your work calendar which refers to home activities rather than explaining why you’re busy in calendar notes.
The printable calendars are traditional ways to optimize your time so much that you regain some precious hours. They have survived the digital age for a reason. Calendars compensate digital time-tracking options, by providing users with a lack of learning process, time for logging into accounts and apps, and availability when your laptop or smartphone battery is down.
Use the printable calendar for your working time and expand it. Notice how it works and optimize its results!
Featured Image Source: Depositphotos.com.
Mahesh Charjan is tech enthusiast from Pune. He loves blogging about technology & gadgets. He has been into blogging from past 5 yrs & really enjoys blogging.